Gourmet Breakfast with Stawnichy’s Chili Lime Sausage
Following in the footsteps of Marketing Manager Dean’s recipe last month on Pesto Pasta, we bring you a gourmet breakfast dish that you won’t find anywhere else. Why? Because it is our own creation. This balanced plate looks complex, and it is a bit of juggling act to produce as you monitor four burners in front of you, but with only a 40 minute prep time it will make your guest envious of your culinary skills.
This recipe comes from Edward and Jane Stawnichy’s grandson Kyler Zeleny who helps with the family business when he’s not working on his PhD or taking photos around the world. Kyler had this to say about the dish: “This is a complex looking, but tasty recipe that is sure to impress your guests.”
- 2 Stawnichy’s Chili Lime Sausage
- 1/2 cup of parmesan
- 1 cup of polenta (or cornmeal)
- 1 bunch of Kale
- 2 eggs
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs butter
To Make Polenta
- Bring a large pot of water and salt (1 tsp) to boil.
- Slowly add polenta to the boiling water while whisking constantly to ensure no lumps
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer whisking every 5 minutes for 30 minutes
- Remove from heat when polenta texture is creamy
- Add butter (2 tbs) and parmesan (1/2 cup) and stir until both have melted
To Make Other Items
Heat a large frying pan to medium heat and place kale in frying pan. Ensure the spines of the kale have been removed and the kale has been ripped into bite size chunks. Rotate kale every few minutes until kale becomes crunchy. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat a frying pan to medium heat and place Stawnichy’s Chili Lime Sausages in the pan, add a few tablespoons of water and cover with a pot lid. Turn sausages frequently until they are fully cooked (20-30 minutes). When fully cooked remove from heat.
Heat oil in a nonstick pan over low heat. Crack desired number of eggs into the pan. Cover with a lid and cook until the whites are completely set but the yolks are still runny (2 to 2 1/2 minutes). Remove from heat.
Assembling It All
When all items have been cooked as desired the dish is ready to plate. Cut an avocado in half and add on top of dish along with salt and pepper. For added spice add Valentina’s hot sauce or ground chili pepper.
– polenta can be substituted for quinoa
– remove parmesan and butter to make it dairy-free
– substitute the sunny-side up eggs for poached